Wednesday 5 April 2017

Literature: The Luck of the Irish

   Good evening dear readers! As the weekend slowly creeps nearer to us and I wait patiently for another eventful time, I almost forgot a significant day. In exactly 30 days from now, I will be boarding a plane, on my way to Ireland! The land of leprechauns, fairies, lucky clovers, guiness beer and the highest population of gingers per capita; it's going to be a great time!!

   Before every trip (like my last one to Iceland), I take the time to read up on the country. To get a virtual feel of the land and find guide books that will get me a better idea of what to expect. My goal (when exploring a new country) is to be a traveler, and not a tourist. I search for my guide books in special stores and with specific intentions. I also tend to read works by writers/poets who are from the country I plan on visiting, as well as immerse myself in music from bands from there. I try to create an experience, before the actual travel experience. The reason I do this is not only because it's fun and entertaining (because let's be real, it's like I'm becoming a local) but because it gives me something to reminisce about when I come back. It's like every time I'll read Jane Urhqhart, or listen to Kodaline, I'll get these flashback feelings from my travels. At least that's what I hope will happen. It did with Iceland. I can't help being a little nostalgic now when I listen to Kaleo or Of Monsters And Men. 

   So what I recommend to you my dearest readers is not only to research the place your planning to travel (because it's really more of a necessity to know what you're getting yourself into that just a helpful suggestion) but immerse yourself in everything at your disposal that's related to the place. Books are good, but make sure to get a mix of both fact and fiction. It'll prepare you just enough before blowing your mind once you get there. The "THERE" is fun, but it's also the "GETTING THERE" that's just as exciting.

                       
 

K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment