Thursday 2 July 2015

Literature: A Temptation too Strong to Resit

   Good morning my dearest readers and I truly do hope that you are all well. Yesterday being Canada Day, I had the day off. Since I had no previous plans, and Riles was working a double shift, I found myself home alone with quiet times and endless possibilities. 
   I was determined to have the most relaxing day that I've had in a while, and I had just that. However, I have been working hard on my 2015 Reading Challenge, and where in the month of May I knocked out 4 books, I haven't had the same kind of determination in the month of June. On the first day of July, I was lying in my bed and as I looked back at the books behind me, the temptation grew to read something that wasn't on my list, but that I've been waiting to read for a long time. I struggled back and forth between what I want and what I should be reading, and came to an impulsive decision. I picked up the book from the shelf behind me, skimmed the pages and the smell of the book called to me. I ran my hand over the cover and the embossed lettering was just so smooth. "I shouldn't read this one" I kept telling myself, knowing the row of books downstairs that was waiting for me. I turned the first page, read the intriguing chapter title, and took the plunge. I re-emerged three hours later to realize that I had tackled an impressive number of pages, and with a guilty sense of pleasure, I dove back in. 
   Though I can't wait to finish all of the books I have set out to read, I needed something that wasn't on there to make it feel like I wasn't reading a course selected reading list. Even times of leisure need breaks between other times of leisure. What book will tempt you?

K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment