Monday 7 March 2016

Literature: At Least I'm Not Buying Drugs

   Happy Monday Morning dearest readers and I truly hope you all feel prepared for the week ahead. I, after having lived the two longest and most difficult weeks of my life, I feel like I can take on anything. So with that being said, I feel like I am.
   My mother came down to Ottawa for a conference on Friday, and decided to stay the weekend so that we could have some quality time together, as well as give me the boost I need to complete these 55 days I have left until I have to move out. We spent the whole day Saturday shopping and eating and walking to burn off the calories from all of the food, and laughing too of course. We went spent the day roaming the market area, the mall, the coffee shops and book stores. It was a calm day spent with a person who means the world the me so I couldn't have ask for anything more to lift my spirits.
   But all of that fun didn't come up without another story. Now that I have my car Glen and must make payments on him, I have to watch my spending. Now that I've booked my tickets for Iceland in May, I really have to watch my spending. But there's just something about walking into a bookstore and seeing all of the hundreds of thousands of worlds that await, just beyond your fingertips (and bank accounts). For once, (though I did end up buying books) I didn't go overboard. I've been stuck staring at empty book shelves ever since I came back from my Reading Week since the majority of them got packed up and sent back home. It made me realize that books (and their shelves) can actually somehow look sad when left barren.
   So as I circled the aisles in the Chapters and came back with a selection of 4 books (which I thought to be an incredible amount of self-restraint), my mother gave me a warning look to be more smart with my spending, to which I replied "I could be using my money to buy drugs instead". My response got a laugh from her and a sense of satisfaction from me. And it is true, that for a person my age, there are far worse things I could be buying, and far worse things I could be dedicating my time to.
   Though I try to balance out my work, school and me-time accurately, sometimes you just need to binge read and remind those around you who worry that you spend too much time by yourself that at least you're not into drugs. So when you get strange looks from people dearest readers about your love and dedication to books, you know what to reply to erase all sense of judgement. Be loud (unless in a library), be proud, be bookish!

K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment