Monday 18 April 2016

Love: Creative Cooking

   Good evening my dear readers! I promised I have not forgotten about you all, but I think it'll be a little easier for us all if I post once every second week (at least until exams are done), or else I'm just going to run out of days. Believe it or not, we've reached the 12 days lefts mark and my apartment is beginning to look empty. With all of my belongings going into boxes, I've had to plan ahead for what I'm going to wear, what I need to finish studying, but also, with what I'm going to eat.

   Having been raised in a house where my mother loved to cook and try new recipes (so much so that we weren't allowed to eat the same thing until the duration of 4 months elapsed), I've learned to make a good meal with whatever is lying around. I've got so many random pieces of protein lying about in the freezer that I've got a base at least for everything. I've got veggies in the fridge and a pantry full of miscellaneous items. Though my meals may not always be conventional, they are always quite entertaining. I tend to "wing it" as I go, but once in a while, I'll consult the great cookbook of my mother's recipes and see if I might substitute one ingredient for another. My roommate Katie is loving my creative experiments as she gets to wine (but mostly) dine with me. We've only got 12 days to empty out the cupboards so if we have to have pancakes at odd times, of some sort of pasta concoction, we will be adventurous and push our taste buds to the limit.

   It's in moments of creative exploration that you can find one of your favorite recipes, or learn to make a basic meal with a little more pop to it. They may not always pan out the way you hope, but then you get to know what doesn't go with that certain ingredient. There really isn't anything to lose and everything to gain. And like Julia Child once said: "People who love to eat, are always the best people."

K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment