Tuesday 11 October 2016

Laughter: It's All About That Game, 'Bout That Game, No Pressure

   Good afternoon and welcome back my dear readers from your wonderful Thanksgiving. Yes, this past weekend was that time of the year where Canadians get together and are grateful for what we have and who we are. Most people drove home, or had guests show up on the Friday to get the chaotic weekend started, but I postponed my departure until Saturday morning because Nicole and I had something really important to attend... a football game.

   Now for those of you who are oblivious to the fact that Canadians actually have their own football league, just know that the game is just as incredible, and our athletes are WAY less paid than the americans. We have just as many crazy fans, and just as many team rivalries, but we're just a little nicer to each other when it comes to our sportsmen like conduct. So the game we went to see was the Ottawa RedBlacks versus the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Those two teams are long-standing rivals which makes the match that much more intense. Furthermore, the Roughriders were having a pretty bad season so far, while the RedBlacks we doing pretty well for themselves.

   Now since Nicole is from Regina, Saskatchewan, naturally her team is the Roughriders (which I've adopted as my own since the last time we went to a game and the Riders won), but we weren't the favourite to win. We were mentally preparing ourselves for some friendly heckling, while Nicole called for a "nail-biter" of a game. That's exactly what we got. After a big lead, the RedBlacks caught up to tie the game and forced all of the exasperated fans and energized teams into overtime. As a last-ditch attempt to win, the RedBlacks overshot their field goal, but when Saskatchewan tried the same move, they manage to land it, thus winning the game. It was super intense, and every time I go see a RedBlacks versus Roughriders game, it's never easy on the nerves.

   Aside from all of this, throughout the game, Nicole and I kept our spirits light with jokes and funny cheers. Now you probably all know how ridiculous my laugh can be (especially when it morphs into other demonic laughs), but despite the roaring crowd, two younger girls who were sitting next to us couldn't help but listen and laugh along to my boisterous chuckle. They would quite literally stop their conversation when there was any indication that I would laugh. They proceeded to tell me that they loved my laugh and that they were laughing with me (and not at me) which made me less self-conscious. They were rooting for Ottawa (which was losing) but they didn't seem to care anymore.

   So another day, another game, and another explosion of laughter gone by, and Nicole is still nowhere close to recording my laughs to put them as her ringtones on her phone. I'm just happy that my carefree attitude and contagious laughter can brighten up anyone's day. Just know dearest readers, that if you go see a Canadian football league game, they can apparently be a lot funnier than one expects!



K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment