Wednesday 17 June 2015

Laughter: Who Needs Free Time?

   Good morning dearest readers! My writing pattern seems to fall into posting once or twice a week, which I think generates enough content to keep you interested without overwhelming my creativity either! Today's post is once again about my adventures over the weekend (since apparently it's the only time that fun things happen to me). The irony of the situation is that I think my parents actually worry that I spend too much time by myself and quite literally applaud me when I do go out. Well this weekend I went out with the intention of staying in.
   I took a train and went to visit both my grandma and grandpa (my mom's parents), as well as my oma and opa (my dad's parents). I had a good two days with each and it surprised me by how much we got done in so little time. I practically came back more tired than I went in, but hey, I got good stories to tell now! My trip started with an early train ride that got delayed (because something ALWAYS has to happen when I take the train) and had a great breakfast when I finally got to my grandma and grandpa's place. I think there's a kind of instinct embedded in grandparents to want to spoil their grand kids and give them some of their own things to carry on traditions. I entered this weekend with two almost empty bags, and returned home with them full. There's still a box left behind and my coat in my dad's truck. What are you going to do when the love is overflowing as much as my luggage?!
   We went shopping, and I got books (wow, that's shocking isn't it?) and then we spent the night hanging out at home, browsing netflix for another comedy to watch. My grandpa is one of the funniest people I know, and he wasn't letting up the whole time I was there (except when he was napping). What was funnier for me, was the fact that I had been up early that morning, and I am used to going to bed early to wake up early, but my grand parents forgot to tell me that they're party animals. I started nodding off near the end of the second episode of the show we were watching, and I had to tap out since I needed to go to bed. I slept in late the next morning, and I woke up feeling like I had the best sleep of my life. The day itself was great. We went ruffling through old memories and VHS tapes (all of which I got to pick which ones I wanted) and went out to lunch at this great restaurant. We then went to mass, came back home for dinner and a movie. It was just so much fun, because being the middle child in the grand kids, I never really got much alone time with anyone so this was truly something I was grateful for.
   I was then driven to my oma and opa's place where more quality time was had. We went for coffee (which is something I truly did enjoy) and went to visit a community garden. I never had the gift of a green thumb but I'm always amazed by people who do. It was raining a little, but it didn't take anything away from nature's beauty. We went back to their home, had lunch, talked and spent some time together. I even had the chance to write which was incredible since I've had writer's block pretty much since school ended (something I hope you didn't notice too much). The stories were flowing through my head and when I tried to explain them, I realized that for people who don't know me, and hear me talking about my stories must think I'm a grade A crazy person; (even people who know me think that from time to time).
   Anyways we ordered in chinese food for dinner which was delicious and proceeded to the entertainment part of the evening. My oma played the piano and I tried as best as I could not sound like both of my hands were in casts when I played the black and white keys. We watched TV for a little while, and contrary to my grandma and grandpa, my oma and opa like going to bed a little earlier, because they wake up earlier as well; (I must have gotten that from their side of the family). I spent the morning trying on things in my oma's closet as she unloaded some of her vintage clothes and I accepted it with a smile. We had lunch, my opa went to a doctors appointment, and I had time to talk with just my oma; a memory I will not soon forget. As the time approached for me to take the train, my dad was in town for work so he came to pick me up and drop me off. It was some more quality time that I usually don't get to have often because of work and the overall distance of the province of Ontario.
   On my way back on the train (something always has to happen) and I was graced with the presence of not one, but two crying babies who were nice enough to sit beside me, and behind me. I heard their unhappy cries in surround sound for four hours; just lovely. I got home, and Riles was at work, and we've both been so busy that I haven't seen the poor kid in more than a week. He must be so happy that he isn't forced to socialize for a while.
   So all in all, by the obvious size of the entry my dear readers, this should hold you off until the next entry I write (which will probably be about my weekend since my dad is coming to visit)! A vacation doesn't always have to be at a big destination. Sometimes it can be a small town with great people; most of the time, those are the most memorable ones.

K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment