Wednesday 16 November 2016

Laughter: Thanked and Threatened All At Once

   Good morning dearest readers and how the week is simply flying by. I've been blessed with good days, and I can't seem to get out of this wonderful mood I'm in (but that isn't such a bad thing after all). I've been working on my writing and I've managed to find a new voice, and a new side of me that I like quite a lot. It seems as though this is the first time in a long time that I see the potential (the true potential) of my work. Whether its my positive outlook or my skills, this girl is on a roll!

   As you know by now, I am a woman of action, of adventure. This past weekend, I did just that. I had been planning to surprise my mom at her last leadership camp over the weekend to wish her well and give her a proper send off instead of slipping through the cracks unnoticed like she would have wanted. I gathered some of my old friends, and some of the original youth counsellors to meet me at the camp, and take part in this epic send off. I had also managed to get in touch with some of her coworkers to help me orchestrate the whole thing; and yes, I can be devious when I need to be.

   The whole endeavour to actually make it to that point was anything but smooth. I had to lead my mother off my track and managed to get some close family and friends to write her thank you cards for everything she's done for us. While she thought this was her surprise (and knowing all too well I had my hand in it), she couldn't shake her gut feeling that I was just going to show up at some point. It took everything in me not to show up with my dad to help out on the Friday night. No, I had to stay strong and show up with everyone else on the Saturday. However, getting to that point was even more difficult; at least it seemed that way.

   One of the youth counsellor's (who is also my best friend) truck wouldn't start and had to get it boosted before rushing to the camp. We had to hide in bushes in front of the school to make sure we weren't spotted as they searched for my mother, to make sure she wouldn't spot us while roaming the school's halls. Lastly, they snuck us into the school, but since we couldn't be there from the beginning of the ceremony, they hid us in the gym's showers, and we held our breath and tried hard not to laugh when people crept in and chatted amongst themselves, waiting for the last event to finish. Through all of this, my best friend finally showed up, and they rushed him into one of our stalls as we waited for the perfect moment.

   When the time came, we poured out of the gym, made a bridge and my mother passed underneath (a symbol of her passing onto the next stage in her life - a gesture that was done for us when we graduated) and she was absolutely speechless when she spotted us at the end of the man made tunnel. It was one of the most moving moments I've ever witnessed, and have been part of. Out of all of this, some of the teachers and other youth counsellors asked me beforehand, how my mother was going to react to us being there (especially since I had driven 6 hours to get there) and I told them that she was going to be so happy, and then that she was going to kill me; all in one moment. And lo and behold, she hugged me tight when she saw me, and immediately followed up saying "I'm so mad at you right now". The last statement merely expressing how she worries about me when I travel by myself, and how jealous she was that she missed out on spending a day and half without me.

   So with the hectic weekend and moment done, I know that I'd do it all again in a heart beat. I realized that my mother knows me extremely well and that sometimes her gut feeling can be terrifyingly accurate. Regardless of it all my dear readers, it was worth being thanked and threatened at the same time.

K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment