Friday 25 November 2016

Literature: The Click of the Keys

   Good day my dear readers and what a happy day it is. Though it is Black Friday and I plan on getting no shopping done whatsoever (since I value my life) I've decided to post an entry on a new project I'm working on. I've been blessed with a promotion at work which means I'll be sticking around Ottawa for another two years, but this also means that I manage to get most of my weekends off to work on whatever my little heart desires. Lately, I've been drawn to my new typewriter.

   At first I thought it was a lavish purchase (which it essentially was) so that I could feel like I belonged to the greats, but it called to me a little louder than expected and I found myself writing almost immediately. I had finished reading yet another of Charles Bukowski's poetry collections and I was inspired to write something completely different than anything I've ever produced before. In groupings of 4, I composed poems on a variety of subjects and they flowed through my mind easier than any of my other stories. There was something so real and so natural that it still freaks me out a little. My own voice has come through in a way that I never thought I'd be understood. I'm also motivated to try to get some of these newer poems published in magazines, or submit them in multiple competitions since for the first time in a long time, I'm proud of my work and I believe in its potential.

   So keep your eyes peeled for my new poetry collection called THE CLICK OF THE KEYS (a typewriter collection) which will hopefully be available sooner than later. Today's post gives you a sample; it's a poem from the 4th grouping I wrote. Let me know what you think! If you like this one, I could release more on the blog since I find they're all quite different. I would love to get feedback from my readers who have been so faithful to me. I'm actually approaching the 5000 original views mark which is yet again, another milestone for this writer who was often overlooked. I am grateful to have you on board. And without further ado:

There are things I wish you had learned.
Like how you have to
work to get what you
want. Or how
patience is an important
virtue. I wish you learned from
your mistakes instead of
using them as a crutch,
an excuse, a shovel to dig
yourself deeper than rock
bottom. I wish
you learned that there are
other things to life
and that not everyone
is a shitty human being. Or that
you keep finding them
because you act like a shitty human
being sometimes too. I
wish you learned to persevere when things
look bad, but to let go when there's no
way to win. I wish you
learned to have faith in
something instead of denying the existence
of goodness. Or to put your faith in the
thing you claimed that
can give you your answers. Or that it's okay
to ask questions.
I wish you learned that those closest to you
are always there even
if you only choose to notice
every once in a
while. Or that some people
will only stick around because
they want something. Or that
you seek the love of others and lose sight
of what's really happening. I wish you learned
you focus too much and miss the big picture
but that you
managed to worry about the future
when there's nothing to do.
I wish you learned that though
you may not always be liked,
you are always
loved.
There are things in your life
I wish you had learned,
and I guess now
would be the time.


K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment