Sunday 24 January 2016

Laughter: Adventures with Michaels

   Happy Sunday dearest readers and I hope you have nothing serious planned for today because it is a beautiful day! I've kept my word as to write one entry a week either on the Monday and Sunday, so here it goes. Today's entry is related to an adventure I had this past Wednesday with Katie. I've come to realize that every time we go out, whether all three of us are together, or only two of us go out on the town, what we plan on doing happens, but it always comes with strings attached.
   Katie has taken up knitting recently and she has the goal to knit a number of scarves for her friends (myself included), but she needed more yarn to do so. Lo and behold, the craft store Michaels was having a sale on yarn. Little did I know that Katie had never been to a Michaels (and since I have way too many hobbies for the amount of free time I actually have) I thought it was incredible that she had never been. So we decided to go together so I can show her the ropes, and so that we could hang out a little together since this semester, I am the one who seems a little more ridiculously busy.
   We finally got to the shopping outlets and walked the rest of the way to the store. As the doors slid open, Katie looked as though the heavens had just been revealed to her. We weaved through all of the aisles looking at all of the fun things available to us until we reached the back of the store where rows stacked up to the ceiling were layered with bundles of yarn. We looked at all of the different colours and after an hour of searching, Katie finally settled on 7 different bundles and a new set of knitting needles. I wheeled our kart around and when we checked out, we realized how hungry we were at this point so we went to dinner at one of the local restaurants and loved our lives. As we were ready to head back to the bus stop, Katie reminded me that she needed cereal for the next day (since she eats it every morning) but instead of walking to the Walmart down the street, we went to the Dollarama since it was slightly closer. There wasn't much selection (and one of the options was called Choco Pillows) so once Katie decided not to go with those, she picked up two boxes and we were ready to go the bus stop once more only to realize that the next one wouldn't be there for another half an hour. It was dark and cold at this point, so we went to a shoe store to look around to kill some time. Katie felt bad that we weren't buying anything that she was considering buying a random pair of socks until I dragged her away just in time to catch the bus. We finally got home and finished our homework knowing that our next adventure might be just as unexpected, and just as memorable.
   Now you know (or I hope you already knew) that adventures can start out pretty routine, but spontaneity is something that makes anything ordinary errand a possible Indianna Jones rival. So take life with a grain of salt and a light heart, and don't go for the Choco Pillows.

K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment