Sunday 31 January 2016

Laughter: An Unconventional Puppet Show

   Hello dearest readers and happy Sunday! As the dreaded Monday rears its tragic head around the weekend's corner, today's entry will hopefully put a smile on your face and an idea in your head. Today's entry could really be a literature post or (as currently selected) a laughter post because it is about a Shakespearian play. 

   This past Tuesday, I went to see a version of Shakespeare's play "Twelfth Night" at the National Arts Center for my Canadian Shakespeare seminar. Not necessarily being impressed with the fact that I had to exit the apartment on my day off, I decided to keep an open mind. My professor had warned us previous to the play that it was supposed to have a puppet element to the play since the theatre company that was putting up the show with the director from the Arts Centre specialized in puppet shows. I'll admit that I was skeptical (because Shakespeare is one of the greats that is reknown worldwide) and I may have been a little snobby with my own ideas about how Shakespear should be performed but for this occasion, I was proud to have been proved wrong!

   The show was FUNNY! I've seen my fair shares of "Twelfth Night" but I have not been more delighted, impressed and in pain from laughing so much than at this very performance. I feel that you appreciate things more when you laugh a lot, or when you see a completely original interpretation of something that has been done thousands of times. The 'puppet' aspect of a show was less like a stand up comic with dummies, but like an enormous old french marionette backdrop. The transition scenes were like back drops and the character took life either embodying or representing puppet versions of themselves. It was said to be that theatre company's first attempt with live actors and I will be the first to say that they did an incredible job.

   I'm happy to report that I may have a new Shakespearian favourite play, and that I will not be so skeptical when people mention the use of puppets (well at least in theatre). So if you are in the area, get your tickets dearest readers but if you're not, keep an eye out for a theatre near you!

K.P.H. 

No comments:

Post a Comment