Friday 8 January 2016

Literature: Reading Crunch Time

   Good evening my dear readers! I hope you are all doing well as I am slowly but surely keeping up my resolution to write a little everyday, and lo and behold, today is a blog day. Since I haven't posted anything literary in a while, I thought it was due time to make a few suggestions.
   In the past 20 days of my Christmas break (which will be complete this Sunday), I have managed to read and complete 4 books. Though not all of them were large, they were all quite different and allowed me to indulge in the hobby I had so long left aside because of my work (both for school and my job). I've gotten to a point in my life where I do not hold prejudices over certain genre of books. I've started to read more non-fiction and I have to admit that not all of it is as horrible as I thought. Some of them are quite insightful and others are just funny (whether its so bad its funny, or just plain old funny). I've been able to read a number of stories last semester for my classes since I had quite the variety of English classes, and with my final semester coming up, I am not going to run out of things to read any time soon. The struggle with that is figuring out what books I ship back home up north and which to keep since I will have no time to read for fun, and only four more months to go before all of this is finished. That is also the reason why I took advantage of some time off to knock off a few titles from my "to read" list.
   The four books I read are as follow: "Letters to Father Christmas" by J.R.R. Tolkien, "If This Isn't Nice, What Is?" by Kurt Vonnegut, "You Get So Alone" by Charles Bukowski and finally "Just Say It!" by Dr. Cheryl Bauman. This has to be the most diverse selection of books I've ever read in a short amount of time. I have started a fifth book, "The Wolf Wilder" by Katherine Rundell, but I doubt that I will have the time to finish it since almost every free moment of my time has been set aside for some purpose until 10:00pm on Sunday night. I'll be looking forward to April 28th, since that will be the official first day of my summer and therefore, the open realm of possibilities for reading material.
   It may seem like I'm overcompensating for a lack of choice literature throughout the year, and you are absolutely right. Despite everything else, I love my program, but I also love that I'll be done shortly. The things that I learned not only helped me grow as a person, but it lead me to the opportunities I needed to get where I wanted to be. So feel free to binge read a number of books during your free time my dearest readers because you honestly don't know when you'll have the chance to sit and read next!

K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment