Wednesday 18 June 2014

Literature: Once Upon a Time

   Good morning dearest readers! It is Wednesday and the week and halfway done. I'm more excited for Thursday since that's when my dad is coming to Ottawa to visit. I even get to spend all of Friday, and Saturday morning with him; it's kind of a vacation while still working. This morning's entry is a short one since I have to make sure that I don't miss my bus.
   On my evenings off, I've started to watch different TV shows in between my reading time. I've started to watch Bates Motel, I finish American Horror Story 1&2 with Riley and now I've also started the show Once Upon a Time. I absolutely LOVE this show. I'm a person who absolutely loves all kinds of fairy tales and the best part is that its not strictly stuck on fairy tales but also on classic stories. Disney created wonderful first edition of the works, but the show now offers a more realistic-ish view on the classic characters.
   I recently watch the episode where Captain Hook was introduced to the story. Peter Pan (and all versions of the story) has always been one of my top 5 fairy tales; it's up there with Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Rapunzel and the Little Mermaid. In the version of the movie where the characters are played by real people, my favorite one is Peter Pan, but in the show Once Upon a Time, there's something more than Captain Hook's appearance that attracts me. The "Bad Boy" persona is an attractive characteristic for many girls these days so coincidently, many characters are portrayed that way. Personally, I don't find that type of person quite attractive, but the thing with Captain Hook's character is that yes, he is traditionally the villain, and yes he does make bad choices, but he still shows some signs of respect and honour, as well as performs courtly gestures. Lastly, what I think make him a character that people are drawn to is that there is a glimmer of hope that lingers, which urges the audience to wait for his redemption; this moment in which he will do good and defy his intended nature.
   It's for characters like this that I like to write stories, but it's also why I absolutely love watching shows that offer this hope in them. Therefore my dearest readers, if you are trying to pick your next show to watch, try out Once Upon a Time, and loose yourself in a world of wonders.

K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment