Wednesday 14 September 2016

Literature: Adventures in Merrickville

   Good afternoon dearest readers! With all the happiness from this morning's pleasant comment, I forgot to tell you about the amazing weekend I spent with my mother! Friday, I moved my furniture into my apartment with my father who was visiting. Sunday, I had breakfast with my mother and a friend of ours before she headed back on the road. But Saturday, oh Saturday... that was reserved for a delightful small town full of charm and possibilities!

   After a morning of errands and chores, we headed on the road for about an hour out of Ottawa, to a town called Merrickville. I had come across it once doing research for things to do in Ottawa and I stumbled on to this small town. We drove and talked until we reached the small town. The first thing we did was stop at some local venders for some fresh organic honey and pickles (it's a weird combo I know but they were both so delicious that we couldn't help ourselves). We then proceeded to have lunch with some blueberry ale (sooooo good), to then walk through the town and shop a little.

   The whole town is laced with boutiques and artisan workshops. New things, antiques things, and old things made new. It was definitely a place I'd consider moving too since it's not too far, and the atmosphere within the community is so inviting. We found a few wonderful pieces, explored an amazing book store (because you can't go into a small town that has one and NOT go see it unless you are truly mad), had a great dinner at one of the hotel, and we even took part in the launch of the fall/winter collection of Wick Witch (a candle and scents store in the town). It was a great event; it was a huge turn out and we even got a complementary Tarot reading with our purchase. There a things in life that only small towns can offer you and I think that may be why I keep looking for them.

   So if ever you are in the neighbourhood my dear readers, it is worth the trip, and even a stay, since the hotels and B&B are quite original and quirky. It is a gem that not too many look for, but is precious nonetheless!








K.P.H.


No comments:

Post a Comment