Saturday 18 October 2014

Laughter: The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway

   Good evening dearest readers, and I hope you aren't shying away from this entry because of the title. I am a BIG Disney fan but the entry today unfortunately has nothing to do with the movie Frozen but instead everything to do with work!
   Throughout the month of September and the beginning of October I've had the chance to travel a little bit everywhere to recruit new students to attend the university and it is one of the main reasons why I love my job. I get to talk about my choices and hope that it can make the lives of others who are stressed that much easier. I haven't felt like I could make a difference in the lives of people like this since my leadership camps in high school.
   It seems that every time there is a big event that I have to work this year, the weather isn't the best. In Toronto, it rained (and I mean poured) for days; on our way back the turbulence was so bad it even scared our most experience flyers. Upon my arrival to Timmins, it was 1 degree Celsius and snowing (well more like slushing). Today on the day of our Fall Open House, it was raining and there was lots of wind; the kind that's cold and that cuts through your clothes.
   It seems that throughout all of this bad weather, I always find myself walking slowly through the night rain, or inhaling the crisp cool air as I hug my coat tighter to me; or that I smile a little bigger as I see people rushing in while I direct them where to go. Growing up in Northern Ontario seems to have knitted the cold within me so that I'm impervious to it. Sure I still get cold once in a while, but that usually means that I'm getting sick.
   There has always been that endless debate; would you rather always be cold, or always be warm? I would always choose to be cold, because then you have simple ways of warming up rather than costly ways of cooling down. There's a freshness that comes with it that I wouldn't trade for the world. So as I put on my fall boots and mittens, I sit outside and read a little in a park because there's nothing like the feeling of cozying up and having the tip of your nose just chilly. I invite you dear readers to embrace the cold and to let it not bother you, because there are always ways to make it worth your while!

K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment