Monday 28 July 2014

Love: An Artist's Signature

   Good evening my dearest readers! I hope you are all well rested and have survived the ever-so dreaded Monday. I myself has made the most out of it; I've learned new things about my school campus, learned new skills at the job and started to develop a hidden talent.
   In the past couple of days, I've decided to pick up once more an old hobby of mine; jewelry making. I've been at it for roughly about 7 years now and with my writing, school and work taking priority in my life, I've only recently stumbled upon free time that allows me to take it up again. Making wire wrapped rings were my speciality once (back when I actually had the tool that made it easy) but now, I find myself struggling to find the right nail polish cap that fits the right ring size. You get creative when you don't have all the right tools, but with a little more time, and a lot more patience, the results are still quite beautiful.
   Now I'm not one to brag, but when I discover a hidden talent that will also help me define my work from someone else's, I become a very happy camper. This is one of the main reasons why I add something new to every story I write, that way I'm never defined to one simple trivial aspect. With certain crafts, such as painting, sculptures or whatever might directly interact with the public, some artists choose one fine point that will make their work recognizable amongst the crowd. For some, it's the medium in which they choose to work with like stone, or clay; other's might have certain colour or a tool they like to use that defines their work. Just recently, I've found a certain something that would make my jewelry collection one of a kind. I know that there are others who use this medium to either paint, sculpt or even use it in their pieces, but for me, it reminds me of home. I've decided to work with wood pieces. Whether they are simple tokens or small branches of a tree or a large focal piece, I've acquired a wood burning tool that allows me to personalize every part of it. My first piece is a modge podge of Viking runes mounted on a necklace. Each rune is burned into a piece of wood and then added to the necklace. Have patience with me since the only small tokens I could find were heart shaped but I'm hoping to find less telling pieces soon to continue my new collection.
   I encourage you today my dearest readers to either find your muse or rekindle an old one, and get those creative juices flowing because you never truly know what you can do until you've tried every possible solution.
 

K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment