Monday 18 August 2014

Literature: Breaking those Boundaries

   Good evening dearest readers and I am pleased to report that I am back from vacation and therefore will try to write as often as possible since I have no scheduled other arrangements. Slowly but surely school is creeping its way forward as summer unfortunately inches its way to an end. It's never fun to see vacations end but how could we appreciate them if we had them all the time. By now I'm sure you all know how being grateful for what you have is very important to me, because if you cannot be thankful for what you have, how can you expect to appreciate what you want.
   Now I didn't start this entry to lecture you all on being grateful, I have started this entry to confess. I'm not a person who's big on change. My parents know this (a little too well I might add), my friends know this and my roommates know it too (especially when I stay upstairs and don't want to go out because I have to make a big decision). I do have big decisions to make coming up that will alter how certain things turn out for me and they aren't easily made. However, I didn't have that much trouble breaking a literary boundary. I have said, and I stick to my word when I said that I will NOT read a Jodi Picoult or Nicholas Sparks book because they are sappy and corny and everything I try to escape when I immerse myself in a literary journey.
   When I followed a fantasy writing workshop with Ottawa's very own Patricia K. McCarthy, I acquired a new mentor. I've had the privilege to be coached by Nancy Richler, and now Patricia has been gracious enough to offer me more opportunities than I could have imagined possible at this stage of the game. I will be able to attend a book launch party (and get to meet publishers and agents), I'll be working a booth at the Ottawa Geek Market selling Patricia's novels as a 'booth babe' (which is quite the flattering title), and also be able to write pitches, and be her available helper and volunteer. Because I'm getting so involved with an entrepreneur/author, I've started to read her Crimson Vampire series. Each book takes on a different sub-genre and I'm quickly learning that maybe my tastes are a lot more eclectic than I thought. She brings a very different and unique twist to the common day vampire. The novel is not focused on the mythical aspect of it all, but of the true, normal love between two people who are each other's worlds. And I'm telling you now, Twilight has nothing on this series. I've nearly finished the first novel of the six and my interest is peaked (ps. the vampire doesn't sparkle because that would be stupid).
   So whether you are on the fence about reading her books or just want to do research on a Canadian author, I'll include her website bellow. Everyone needs a little help sometimes and it's good to support each other because the struggle is real. With a little hard work and a helping hand, it's amazing what turn the world takes when your eyes open wider.

http://www.patriciakmccarthy.com/

K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment