Thursday 25 September 2014

Literature: Medieval does not stand for Mid-Evil

   Good morning dearest readers and I apologize for my absence on the blog for the past few days. I had been gone to Toronto for a university fair (that went incredibly well I might add) and I've been busy ever since I've come back. I am pleased to note that I'm attempting to start a new habit that will be a healthier one for me; and it is going to the gym so that I can stay healthy. I've only started this week and already, I feel better. Now because of this new habit I won't be giving up the blog, but I will try to continue both. School still has to come first, but my health (both body and mind) are also important to maintain so that I can do well in school. Every little bit helps to keep the well-oiled machine running.
   Now one of my classes that I'm taking this semester is Medieval English and it is one of my favourite classes. One- the professor is funny and entertaining, two- I've already read half of the material assigned so it's pretty much just some revision for me, and three- my roommate from first year Justine is in the class with me! It's easy to see how this is such a fun class, right?
   One day, the professor brought up the spelling of the word "medieval" to ask us what is medieval literature. He explained that once, one of his students had spelt it "mid-evil" which is incorrect, and yet it had some truth behind it since it was written in middle English ("mid"). The student had tried to argue that with middle English, is wasn't the spelling that mattered as long as it still sounded the same when it was dictated, but during this day and age, correct spelling of a word does matter.
   None the less, this got me thinking on how I really like medieval literature. There's something about the freedom of the words, and using certain references to incite a thought all the while it means something utterly contrary. It's the fun of the word play and of the fantastical stories. It's about the racy language and funny tales that would even today make a prude woman blush and yet, there's something so simple about it that makes it classic even if people continue to associate it with the dark ages. Some of the best known texts and stories emerge out of this time, and they are the ones that so many "classic" texts were influenced by (no matter how many times they try to deny it). Medieval literature houses texts like Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, and the legends of King Arthur and Camelot. There are also some of the most beautiful and honest poems about Mary and Jesus, and yet there are some about the changing of the seasons and all the sentiments they bring.
   The saying "we cannot judge a book by its cover" is a saying I believe to be false. I always judge a book by it's cover because if it does not attract my attention, if it does not reel me in or catch my eye, I will walk right past it. The only time we might not judge its cover is if it is already famous and well known. The content of the text is important, but also is its reputation and appearance. So keep your mind open and your eyes sharp and you will be surprised by the amount of treasures you will find!



K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment