Friday 17 January 2014

Laughter: Being Bilingual

   Marcus Aurelius once said that: "When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love;" and for me, to be bilingual. My dearest readers, whether you are bilingual, or close to it by knowing the basics of at least another language, knowing a different language is always an added bonus. I had always been told that being bilingual (for me knowing French and English), would give me extra advantages, and it is partly true, but there is one comical con.
   Though there could be many stereotypes associated with being a francophone, I am proud to be who I am. My first language is French, and though I had picked up a few phrases here and there in my youth, I technically only really learned how to read and write in English when I was in the fourth grade. So since I didn't always know the proper way to say things, and I was also quite the active child, I found myself being the punch line of the jokes of my fellow teammates. It wasn't that bad, and I wasn't bullied by my classmates or teammates because I would know what I had said was off. I remember a very clear instance when I wanted to say that there was no longer toilet paper in the stall, I found myself warning my teammates about the lack of paper toilet. If you are not aware of the French expression for this, it is "papier de toilette" which is essential paper of toilet (I was close enough).
   You might have noticed that throughout my posts there might be odd turn of phrases and expressions that you might not have heard before, but I'll admit that is probably because you shouldn't be technically saying it; but I've translated it in my head and it seemed to work. I know this now, and I'm trying hard to be more conscientious about how I say things. So with that said, and all of you informed, I invite you to keep reading and if this little quirk of mine becomes a pet peeve of yours, I apologize and I am working towards improvement, but being Franco-Ontarian is in my veins and I am proud to be who I am. Don't take life too seriously and be thankful for who you are; all of it!!!

K.P.H. 

No comments:

Post a Comment