Tuesday 28 January 2014

Literature: Writer-in-Residence

   'Morning dear readers, I hope you all had a wonderful day yesterday, and if you didn't, today's your chance to try again. Today I've decided to talk about an incredible service that's offered at my university and that I've only found out about it this year. It's called the Writer-in-Residence program. What is it you might ask? It is when a known author stays on campus for the entire semester and gives feedback to aspiring authors!!!!
   The university has had authors such as Jane Urquhart and Irving Layton be their Writer-in-Residence in past years and this year, we are happy to welcome Nancy Richler to our campus. I had the privilege to go to her public reading yesterday and not only hear her own stories recited in the ways she had intended them to sound like, but also to have her explain the meanings behind certain aspects of her books. She is the author of "Throwaway Angels", "Your Mouth is Lovely" and "The Imposter Bride". I am definitely going to go purchase copies of the works after having heard her describe the setting and her characters.
   My university had also offered a Creative Writing class taught by a known author, but unfortunately, my schedule clashed with the time which rendered my unable to participate; however, this Writer-in-Residence program has given me the extra hope that I need to pursue my dream. Now I can bring some of my work in and get advice from someone who is already in the business and who is also quite familiar and loved by it.
   If you don't have these kinds of programs offered to you at your university or in your community, you can do your own research. If you want feedback or want to question authors on their crafts, contact them. Some of them, Nancy being one of them, actually answers you when you email or mail them questions. Go to public readings and book signings. Everything is there in the world to help you succeed; you simply need to build up the courage to reach out and seize the opportunities. Take a chance, but do the work as well because "opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas A. Edison

K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment