Tuesday 14 January 2014

Literature: The Good O'le 'Who Dun It?'

   Top of the morning to you dear readers! I thought about what story I could tell, or tell you what horrible movie was adapted from an original book, but then, I thought about talking about the very first book that captivated me so much that I completed it in one day. I like to call those kinds of readings a "one-a-day-ers" and they do happen sometimes in one sitting.
   My very first "one-a-day-er" was the novel "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie. This gripping mystery novel kept me on the edge of my seat as I read every single chapter wondering what was to happen next. I will admit that the first couple of chapters seemed kind of long since every character of the story is being introduced with their backstory, but from the point where the first murder takes place, the excitement never dulls down from then on. The part that I thought the most clever out of the entire novel was that in every room in which the guests stayed, there was a poem entitled "Ten Little Indians", and it describes how each of the little Indians die until there are none. What really gets the reasoning wheels going is when you start to notice that the people in the story are dying off in the same ways as the Indians in the poem. The poem within the story is the reader's guide, but also their demise. I won't say too much more on it because I don't want to ruin the story, but I will admit that I am not the only person to have read this mystery tale in one day; it is that good!
   So I invite you my readers to buy, to borrow, to just get hold of the book and put it aside for that rainy day you just don't want to do anything with (and make sure to have lots of tea in stock too) and read your little heart out. Just remember dearest reader that a story a day keeps reality away!

K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment