Friday 17 January 2014

Love: Do Good to Feel Good

   Good evening dearest readers. I am taking this opportunity to post the newest entry to my blog because I have an early day tomorrow, followed by a busy day and an eventful evening; therefore in order to make up for the lack of entry tomorrow, I'm posting it tonight.
   So today I have chosen to speak about something that I hold very dear to my heart (and it's not that what I talk about is not dear to my heart, but this is me doing good to feel good); and I'm accomplishing all of that with the help of the organisation "Free the Children". They are a great organisation that started out because a 12 year-old boy thought that the world was unjust to those who were just like him, but simply at the wrong place. Craig Kielburger and his brother Mark raised the money to go visit second world countries and see what could be done to help them. Now, many years later, Free the Children is an organisation that is known throughout the world, and has changed the lives of many ever since a little boy saw that something was wrong with the world and it needed fixing. I had the privilege of going to hear Craig speak when I was in 9th grade, and when I saw the passion in his eyes when he spoke about the difference he was making, it ignited this desire within me to jump on board and help those I could. My brother felt the same, and he started a group called Voices in Action. To raise money to donate to Free the Children, we went carolling, participated at school events and we went door to door during the "Halloween for Hunger" to acquire loose change and canned goods for our local food bank. Free the Children showed us that we can not only make a difference in our own community, but across the world as well.
   They also host a few days in different cities in Canada in order to appreciate and incite the will of the youth to make a difference in the world. This day is called We Day, and it not only presents the younger generations with celebrity role models who share the same meaningful values, but it shows us all, that we are not the only ones who can make a difference; we are not alone and because of Free the Children, we can tell kids all around the world that they are not either. My mother Donna, went to Africa with the organisation and her best friend Jean-Paul, to participate in the construction of a school. Education is the first step to change, and in a couple of years, I am proud to say that I will be joining in a similar opportunity. Other than this desire to make a difference in the lives of those who need the extra help, my brother had asked me to compose a song for his group Voice in Action (when it was still operating since now we just directly help out through Free the Children) and I thought I'd add a video along with this post. It is a video of the song I wrote entitled "We Day Song", and I hope that you have either been inspired or intrigued. Regardless, if you haven't heard of Free the Children, I encourage you to check it out; because why not change your life by changing someone else's.

Free the Children Website

K.P.H.

1 comment:

  1. I am so grateful for our chidren and our grand children.

    ReplyDelete