Sunday 12 January 2014

Love: The Power of a Song

   My dearest readers, whether you are a returning fan or a new visitor, I welcome you to this new entry that is dedicated to your all time, ultimate favorite song. I'm not talking about your weekly hit, or the album you've been listening to on repeat; I'm talking about the one song that you cannot skip regardless of what mood you find yourself in.
   I know that I initially said that I'd only be doing a new entry to my blog once every day, or every second day, but I'm going to be breaking this rule for this week and possibly the one to follow because I want you to have some new material to scroll through. So on that note, I continue this conversation on your timeless, treasured song.
   Mine, I will full out admit that it is: "Turning Page" by Sleeping At Last. The fact that it is a type of love song that uses book similes and metaphors throughout it, does add on to its appeal for me; but just the sound of the song, the vibe of it makes it unforgettable for me. It is the one song that I will neither try to learn to play on guitar or piano, nor will I ever listen to a cover of it, and I also completely zone out when it comes on my iPod or on my computer. I've listen to this song on many occasions; when I've been writing or composing; when I've been struck with a case of 'butterflies in my stomach' ; when I've felt alone and discouraged; and even when I've had moments of pure joy. There is something about the signer's unique and memorable voice that cares for every word that escapes his mouth. The melody is sweet and slow; the piano is carefully played while the violins accompany the tune. The song brings the listener on a journey which sways on a path of story telling and devotional vows. The tempo as well as the passion of the signer builds up with every stanza sung and played. It is composed like a good story; a griping beginning, a suspenseful climax and a beautiful ending that makes its audience want to push the repeat button.
   Whether your favorite song is instrumental, upbeat or folkish, it is what supports you through your life, or sends you off on a new one through a dream. The reason why some people relate so much to a certain song is that they can feel the passion, and devotion that its composer put into it. We relate because we see ourselves within the music and its story. It is a powerful thing, a song; and that is why you see so many people enjoying life as they blast their music while their stuck in traffic, or are concentrating hard on a project for work or school and shut themselves off from the world by putting in their headphones. It is why hymns at churches are sung, and wedding receptions must have the first dance in the evening's agenda. It is why a song reaches to our very being and awakens a presence that was simply waiting to sing out its greatness.
   For all of these reasons my dear readers I invite you to listen to my favorite song and comment on what your favorite is, because I would love to hear the melody that connects you to your infinite universe.

K.P.H.

1 comment: