Wednesday 22 January 2014

Laughter: Life's Simple Pleasures

   Good morning dear readers, and what a morning it is! It is a chilly one in the nation's capital but it is a very sunny one as well. All of my posts are inspired by things that are happening or that have happened to me in my life, and today's was inspired by the last couple of days; specifically inspired by my roommates.
   We are not the typical college students who study a lot and then use the weekend to unwind and go out drinking with friends until we forget what we learned all week. Yes we study a lot, and yes we do take time to unwind, but we do it our own way. One of the reasons I think that we all get along so well is the fact that we all have old souls. And with that, we apparently like older types of entertainment too. For example, when we watch television shows, we tend to watch the Oprah Winfrey network, or the old game show network. We do watch the occasional movie, but we don't allow ourselves that much time for breaks in between our studying. Another way we like to unwind is read books, but I tend to read a book I need to read for a class while I'm taking a break from reading another book that I'm reading for a different class. Our newest way to relax a little has come with the discovery of a travel version of the game "Connect 4". Riley and I started to play the game while Katie was at her class, and we found ourselves playing one match after the next. It came to a point where the atmosphere was so intense, and we were concentrating so hard on the match and possible moves that when I won a match with a simple move, Riley yelled in frustration and surprise, (I should mention that Riley had won roughly 17 matches in a row before I pulled off this win). We kept on playing until Katie got home, and then the next day we started playing best 2 out of 3 so that we could each take a turn playing against each other. The television was only on to provide background music, and that was the activity we were doing while our dinner was cooking. Yes, university student can still be entertained by a simple board game when it is played with the right people.
   The lesson to take out of this dear readers is not to go out and buy a travel size Connect 4 (you can if you want to) but to realize that you don't need to spend a lot of money, and change locations to have fun; sometimes you just need good friends and a funny laugh to get the good times rolling.

K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment