Wednesday 19 February 2014

Laughter: Bus Travel

   Good morning my dearest readers. This morning's entry will be short and sweet since I am on a time crunch too; I final get to go home for a few days now, and I can't wait since I have been feeling kind of home sick lately. As I get ready to depart for my long 8 hour bus ride, I thought that it might be helpful to give you some tips, if ever you find yourself in a similar situation.
   Bus travel is not like flying, driving or even taking the train; it's a completely different experience in itself. Some people might see it as being creepy and dirty, but that's just because they probably got on the wrong bus in the first place, so of course everything will seem grim. Just like in prime real estate, the comfort of your trip relies on location, location, location. I always like to sit in the seats further up front, (and by up front I don't mean right next to the bus driver but when you see the emergency exit windows, that's technically half the bus, so stay in the front half and you'll be alright). Plus, the bonus of being up front is that often times, there'll be older people who are so sweet and kind; if you don't like chatters, then maybe you can move to the back, but if you simply tell them that you've got homework to do or that you'd like some sleep, they'll be nice enough to leave you be. I even had an older lady buy me a juice once at the stop because I had let her borrow my phone so that she could call home and give them progress updates.  Second, I personally love the window seat because contrary to popular belief, there is a lot more room, and you get to have the scenic route the whole way home. Lastly, if you have a long trip like I do, you're going to have to eat at some point. So if you want to bring your own snacks on board, you are more than welcomed to, but I know that some of the routes up north stop at these little dinners and home-owned stores so the food is always fresh and good.
   Whether you are planning a trip and are looking into different options, don't cross off bus travel right away. Though it might not have gotten the best reviews in the past, it is slowly starting to redeem itself. So I ask you to remember what Ralph Waldo Emerson said: "Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not."

K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment