Friday 28 February 2014

Literature: Looking for Rachel Wallace

   Good morning dear readers, and I hope that it's a little bit warmer wherever you are compared to the chilly Ottawa area. The weather can't seem to decide what season it is so it keeps wavering between winter and spring. However, on these colder days, we are provided with the opportunity to stay in and curl up with a good book (unless you have to go to school or work like I do). I've decided to go ahead and write a literature post this morning since there hasn't been one a little while.
   On this fine Friday, I will not be talking specifically about a genre, a literary prize or even a specific author; I will simply be talking about a book. "Looking for Rachel Wallace" by Robert B. Parker is a novel I had to read for my Mystery Novel class, and I was surprised that I had liked it so much. By it's simplistic cover, and somewhat tacky description in the back, I wasn't sure I was going to be enjoying it, but happily to my surprise, I was proved wrong.
   This book is quite funny, with dry humour and a man named Spenser who has tons of machismo and lives by his code of honour. The story takes place in a time where things were slowly getting different, but they weren't completely accepted in society. You can notice a mix of old and new ways as you are taken to different locations because of Spenser's new job, which is being Rachel Wallace's body guard. At first you don't know if there will be a crime or not, because you get captured in the witty banter that is continually taking place between Spenser, Rachel and whoever else gets brought into their conversations. But once a crime is committed and Spenser needs to jump into action, the story actually gets better (I didn't even know that it was possible).
   I won't go too much into detail because I want you dearest readers, to grab a copy of the book and read to your heart's content. It is relatively small enough so it could even be done as a "one-a-day-er". Take the time to read at least once a day because every time you open a book, you open your mind.

 
K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment