Friday 19 August 2016

Laughter: Technology at its Finest

   Good day to you all my dearest readers! One of the things that I am not amazing at (but am learning regardless) is the ever developing technology at our disposal. I know I've mentioned a few times how I'm not tech-savy, that I have an old soul, and that I'm not good with change, but sometimes, we learn despite our best resolve. I've learned that first hand with my bilingualism. It doesn't matter if French is my first language, I learned how to speak English young since I was always surrounded by it in my every day life.

   But the post this morning isn't going to be a rant about the ever-decreasing human interaction we all have with one another, but rather of a fond memory I had growing up. I stumbled upon the picture below last night when I was looking over some of my social media and laughed hard (maybe a little too hard) thinking back on the struggle I faced talking not only to my relatives, but mostly to my dad every night when he travelled for work. Kids nowadays will never know how difficult it was to find a comfortable spot to have a long call, or the need to not get distracted as you attempted to jump rope with the cord without ripping the phone jack off the wall. You had a limit to your line, so any material you wanted to share, you needed with you because there was no way the line would reach your room. Not only was it a pain for the caller, but for the others in the house trying to manoeuvre their way around you without literally being clothes-lined by your conversation.

   With all the awkwardness of it, those long calls with my dad are interwoven in a big part of my childhood, and my future kids (should I have any) will never wrap themselves in the phone cord, or twirl it around while talking to their grandparents. They could run outside while talking, feeling limitless in their conversations, but forever subjected to distractions along the way. They will never be tied to one spot; never forced to stay still and talk for a moment.

   So if you've lived the struggle (or remember fond memories) of those good 'ole phone cords, let it be known that no other experience will allow talking on the phone with your own attached entertainment.


K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment