Saturday 6 August 2016

Literature: Found New Land in Newfoundland

   Hello again dearest readers! Are you ready to hear about my trip to Newfoundland? Well I'm ready to tell you all about it! Where my usual habit is to highjack my parents' anniversary, this year I accompanied my grandparents to Newfoundland for their 55th wedding anniversary. This was also my graduation gift from them. Newfoundland was the only Canadian province (other than the territories) that they hadn't seen yet, and they wanted to go badly. And I love to go on adventures, so it was a perfect match.

   I was their personal driver and we spent 5 days exploring St. John's and the surrounding area on our own and with the help of some locals and friends. We each got to pick a day where we chose what we did. We found some local restaurants and ate like kings and queens. We visited the Colony of Avalon and checked out one of the most prosperous archeological digs in this part of the country. We went to a local dinner theatre and laughed until our stomachs hurt. We went to mass at the beautiful cathedral where the priest called us to live our lives for the moments that matter, and not for the material things we think that do. We went to The Rooms, and saw local history and art (some about travelling and identity) and had lunch with an amazing view. We saw Signal Hill, and went to the most Eastern Point of Canada. I put my feet in the water while looking at whales and distant icebergs. I realized even more how much we live in an awe-inspiring, wonderful country. I thought the weather was nice (not too hot, but a little windy) and we even took the time to rest. What I really loved about the whole trip was that we took the time to rest up between our visits, and that allowed me to write more than I had had the opportunity to do all summer.

   There's just something about islands that kick-starts my imagination and allows my mind to flow with ideas. I let my Bluesfest bands serenate me my while my two new characters (Eli and Mayvell) told me their long awaited story. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since, and I crave each opportunity that I can read and write again. Whether its the people, the place or the overall vibe of it, islands are magical places. All the traditional lore suggests it, locals endorse it, and I believe it.






 
K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment