Thursday 4 August 2016

Love: What Part of Eyjafjallajokull Don't you Understand?

   Good evening dear readers and no, for once I am not making up words. That is the name of one of Iceland's famous volcanoes. Unfortunately, I didn't hike up the side of that one, but I did manage to hike up the side of another volcano, and a beach, and a waterfall, and another waterfall, AND another waterfall. With a group of eight people (including myself), I set off on a road trip across Iceland's landscape in hopes of seeing the beauty of another country. And that is exactly what we did.

   When people say that it's good to think outside the box, that logic applies to travelling too. In our case, we thought outside the circle; the Golden Circle to be exact. On the first day of our 10 day trip, we landed in Keflavic and proceeded to meet up with the rest of our group in Reykjavic. After doing a little bit of groceries, we drove down the highway and some dirt roads to get to the Glymur hike. Now my friend Gen and I had been hiking some of the trails back in Sudbury and the Cup and Saucer trails on Manitoulin Island, but nothing really could have prepared us for the test that was Glymur. I want to state that my attitude towards this trip was very "happy-go-lucky" because I knew little of Iceland and was there really for a new adventure, therefore I had no idea (and I mean NO idea) that we were going to be hiking up the side of Iceland TALLEST waterfall. I then learned to ask exactly what we were hiking up for the rest of the trip. Despite the test of endurance and will power, we managed to make it to the top. It was a mix of stubbornness of being so close to the goal and the resolution that it was practically impossible for us to go back down the way we had come up. That day, we hiked for roughly six and a half hours up the side of this waterfall. We crossed over a rough river on a log and rocks. We almost free climbed rock climbed some points because we couldn't always see the trail. Made snow angels on the tops of the white caped mountains (yes we were that high, TALLEST waterfall remember), and then crossed the river that poured out as the waterfall barefoot, or in our boots. Soaked but smiling, we had finally made it to the other side and proceeded to make our way back down the mountain. Once back in the car and on the road, we stopped for a few more attractions but none of us remember much after the hike. That was the best night sleep I think I've ever had.

   We hiked to 4 other waterfalls, up and through a hot field where you literally need to walk between the lines or your shoes will melt. We made it up and around a dormant volcano. We explored a bay and beach, walked on a black sand beach and strolled the water near a melting glacier. We even hiked up to the spot, where it's still functional and used to this day, is Iceland's first pool. The scenery never stopped changing and my mind was constantly blown. Of course with all of this exercise, exhaustion and excitement, there were some big laughs erupting from the car. We lived like the locals did and had a completely immersed experience. We went in some hot pods (make-shift hot tubs using the geothermal heat in the middle of a field) and we tried local delicacies (and not so delicacies). We saw the wildlife, reindeers and all, and simply let the world leave us in awe.

   We spent a day or two in Reykjavic and visited some shops. We went to see the geyser, and a couple of us when horseback riding in lava fields. But I think some of our best moments were when we stepped outside the famous Golden Circle, and let the country tell us what we should see. I am looking forward to going back, to taking on Glymur once more (but with a better understanding of it next time), and to let myself just be for a moment. I wouldn't change a thing from the trip; not the places we stayed, or the people I was with, or even the numerous tuna sandwiches and "cool American" chips we ate. But I have a feeling dear readers, that Iceland is one of these places that changes and mystifies with every single visit. So will you visit and think outside the circle?











 

 

K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment