Monday 7 April 2014

Literature: Breaking the Fourth Wall

   Good morning dearest readers, Monday is here and this week is another opportunity to accomplish something that you've never done before. As I slowly get ready for work this morning, I feel a little more relieved to have finished yet again another essay. I feel like other than entries to the blog, that's the only thing I'm writing these days. However, if that is the actual case (in which I don't have time to write any of my stories), that doesn't mean that the ideas stay away. No on the contrary; they like to invade my mind and consume my thoughts until I take a quick five minutes to write down what has been bouncing around in there. That is what happened yesterday.
   As I was writing my Canadian Literature final essay, when a new idea for a book popped into my head and it would not leave or make room for my reasoning ability until part of it was jotted down; so that's what I did. But what I try to do with every new story (whether it is a short story, a novel or an essay), is something different with them every single time. My first story was divided into three books. My second story had five characters that were sharing the spot light. Another story is divided into four sections, each with their own descriptive chart. My short story I gave the opportunity to four characters to narrate what was happening but in the style of a journal. Now the two that I'm working on now are completely out of my comfort zone and I think will still be quite a joy to write. The first one I will mention will have a boy as the first person narrator (all my other stories have girls at the center) and the second has what the title mentions; the breaking of the fourth wall.
   For those who do not know, in a play, television show, movie and book (anything that demands an audience), the story is framed in a way that the characters only interact with each other or beings in another realm. However, it is rare that the actors or characters will interact with the audience. This is what I'm attempting to do with this idea for a second book.
   Now whether or not you're setting yourself up for a big project, always try to do something different if you're accomplishing a repeated actions. You might not be pleased at first, or even comfortable with it, but "life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch


K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment