Thursday 10 April 2014

Literature: Right to Reading

   Good morning my dearest readers and I hope your Wednesday was as good as mine. I'd like to take the opportunity to thank everyone for the birthday wishes; it was really quite wonderful. Now I had mentioned yesterday that I had a few ideas brewing in the back of my mind and I'd like to discuss them today since I'm not exactly sure about how to put them into action.
   Since yesterday at We Day, I've been thinking of all of the inspiring words and ideas, and now I just have to prove what exactly is my redefined possible. My first idea is that once I've gotten my things organized (and by things I mean my summer course, summer job and life in general), I'd like to volunteer at an old folks home and read to those who'd like some company. I truly believe that a shared interest in books brings people together, and having the option to dream a little longer is always good for everyone.
   Now my second idea is going to take a little more time, a little more organization and a little more dedication and research. One of Free the Children's biggest goals is to provide education for kids all across the world because once a child receives an education, they have the knowledge to take on the world and make a difference not only in their own lives but to improve their community as well. What I would like to do is to share my love of reading with all of those who aren't fortunate enough to cherish the experience. I found out yesterday that there are still many communities in Canada that don't have a library, let alone a suitable collection of books in their school. So what I'd like to do is to 1) find out which communities are in need of resources and compile a list.
2) start a book drive and collect as many books as possible; any kind of genre, but enough to have a reasonable variety.
3) raise funds to be able to send it to them.
4) [extra possibility] raise extra funds to provide or maintain a facility to keep the books for the community.

   The second part of my project will probably take lot's a time, commitment and energy, but I'm not expecting a huge immediate change. A wonderful person that I've had the chance the work with started her own charity when she was quite young, providing food boxes for those in need. She's still at it now, and she is almost more passionate about it than when she started it out.
   Reading is something that is close to my heart, and I know that I wouldn't be the person I am today (with all of my dreams and drive) if it wasn't for all of the books I've read and the imagination I've developed. I am part of a movement, of a generation that sees change that needs to happen, and because of all of the support and belief that is instilled in us, we now also have the drive and determination to put things into action. Therefore my dearest readers, once everything is set in motion, I'll let you know how things are going, and if you're interested in possibly starting off your own projects and need ideas or support, feel free to ask me and I'd be more than happy to help out.
   Everyone has a right to reading and I plan on making it a little easier for everybody. And in life, I truly believe that you "either write something worth reading or you do something worth writing."
-C.S. Lewis

K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment