Wednesday 26 March 2014

Literature: Green Grass, Running Water

   Good morning dearest readers, and I hope the weather is as nice in your corner of the world as it is here today. Another short post this morning and this one is about a book I have to read for my Canadian Literature class (my professor had a good selection lined up for this year). I had the wonderful chance to see my mother yesterday, but now she's going back home today; I do love my mother but I'm not too in the mood to talk about lovely things today. And I can't really think of anything that's too funny either and that's why I've chosen a literature post this morning.
   Green Grass, Running Water is a novel written by Thomas King, and though I'm a third done already (having only started it Sunday afternoon, and it being quite long), I can assure that the novel grips you and entrances you to continue reading to try to figure out what exactly is happening in the book. It a melding of both native and European culture, with a hint of humour, sarcasm and wit. There are multiple stories happening over three different realms. It seems complicated (and I have to admit that it is a little bit) but the story itself is gripping. I can't tell you how it ends, but I can tell you that it's really good up to now, and I'm still far enough in the novel. I won't spend time describing it, because I might confuse you too much, and then that might discourage you from reading it, (and we wouldn't want that, would we?)
   "So. In the beginning, there was nothing. Just the water." And because of that little glimpse, your interest is already peaked and you want to go grab a copy of the novel, right? Good choice. Once I'm done this book (and all the others I have to read for this semester), I'm going to pick up another of Thomas King's novel entitled Truth and Bright Water. Open a book and read yourself into another world dear readers, because you don't have to go far to experience another culture, you simply have to turn the page.

K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment