Monday 17 March 2014

Love: Irish at Heart

   Good morning dear readers and Happy St-Patrick's Day!!! This is usually a kind of holiday that people like to take advantage of to maybe celebrate a little too much, but for me there are a few traditions that make this Irish holiday one that I look forward to.
   I am lucky to be part Irish, Dutch and French, but I don't really associate with one more than the other, I represent them all equally. However on certain days, one side of me tends to take over. I become more Irish on St-Paty's day; I'm all Dutch during St-Nicholas and I'm a proud francophone whenever I need to represent. On this happy day, I'm not one who goes out, and goes overboard on this day... I'm smarter about my social life but one of the things that I love most about this day (and it's been a tradition that my mother started with me since I was young) is the fact that I can eat Lucky Charms on this day. My parents never really bought sugary cereal and this was a treat, (we basically finished an entire box in a day). A second thing that was really fun was that my mother used to turn everything green on this day. She'd get me a special clover shirt, my lunch would be full of green foods; even now when I'm in university, my mother sends me a March care-package and everything, even the box is green.
   With all of this green going around, I'm happy that my only class today is in Celtic studies which just adds on to the St-Patrick's day atmosphere. Might as well learn about the culture behind the holiday, right?
   So whether you are a true Irish, or just one for today, be smart about your choices and learn what it really is all about because it is sure to enhance your experience!

K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment