Tuesday 25 March 2014

Literature: Linking Stories

   Good morning dearest readers, I hope that Monday wasn't too harsh on you all. On this fine Tuesday, I find myself being actually quite excited since my mother is visiting tonight and I have missed her so much! This morning's post (and the rest of the week's for that matter) will be relatively short since we are only a couple of weeks away from the starting of exam time and my expected workload just doubled, therefore I won't have too much free time and should be focusing all of it on studying. With that explained, let's move on to today's topic.
   One of the tasks for my Celtic Women class is to participate in a poetry session. We're put in a group and after reading a different selection of poems, we must pick one and find either a contemporary equal or comparison. At first, the original work we had chose was a poem called The Midnight Court (quite long) and I had thought at first to compare it to some elements of The Scarlet Letter with the first part of the original work. That fell through the cracks when the professor continued to explain The Midnight Court, but I started associating all of the parts with The Miller's Tale by Chaucer. That was a perfect association but however it wasn't contemporary enough; so that option went down the drain. However one of my group members found a song that makes reference to the Miller's Tale and that also follows the themes that we need so that it can be compared to The Midnight Court; I think we finally found ourselves the winner.
   So if ever you find yourself in a similar situation as myself, don't be afraid to not find something off the first instant. Even if you're not an avid reader, your mind stores away quite the impressive amount of information that is just waiting to resurface. Remember to keep and open mind and to let inspiration reach you.

K.P.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment